I've realized there's no happy medium with posting. Last time I posted like once a month and now I can't stop writing stuff that, as I also realized, like three people are going to read. (What's up Mom and Jessi and Candice!! hehe)
But I can't help it. And I don't care. And I have nothing better to do. So there.
The reason for the post? Today was fabulous.
I only had one class, and the kids (second year) were GREAT. They didn't voluntarily participate...at all...but they were SILENT and attentive and actually attempted to read when I called on them. Only a few refused, but then again, it was this group's first real day of class with me. I'm really not sure how much I'm going to help these kids with English, but I think I'll consider the whole thing a success if I can encourage them to be brave with trying and making them feel good about themselves when they do. Anyways, what a treat. And I've learned all about cells. Ask me anything.
Then I had 2 separate conversation hours with 3 teachers. The first one was me and the two of them just kind of hanging out and talking, and the second was this lady who isn't technically on my schedule but asked if I had any free hours because she wants to practice for an upcoming English certification test. If I speak super slowly and use cognates, she can get the gist, but she says she wants to start from square one. Next week we'll start with formal grammar lessons, but today we just chatted and I taught her the alphabet song. Cuz I'm that awesome. Also she was shocked that we don't have "ll" or "rr," letters that don't even exist in Mexican Spanish anymore. Anyways, she's super nice, so I'm excited.
Then I got a ride home with her, Aurora (one of the 2 teachers I'm with the most), and this guy whose name I forget. They live in a town near Sevilla, so they dropped me off at the metro stop. I don't think I saved time or money going home with them, but it was fun, and I, as a girl from a mid-sized American city, think metros are a blast.
Then I felt like going out to eat, so I did. I took a book and found a cafe on Calle Betis (pronounced "Betty"), an incredibly cute street with a ton of cafes and bars on the Triana (my) side of the Guadalquivir River, from which you can see the bull ring, cathedral and giralda, torre de oro, people sculling down the river... It's times like those when I just stop and think how awesome it is to be here.
Now it's....7...so I plan on spending the rest of the night laying around and reading and drinking coffee and working on a Peace Corps application (hey, you never know.)
Tomorrow, work will consist of being there for 1 hour and standing around with Andy as one of like 5 people in costumes...eating desserts. And then at night going to Barbate with Chani. Saturday we have big plans to hit up Primark, and at some point her nephew is having a bday cookout, and also I think we'll go to "Cadiz capital" cuz we have Monday off work.
THE END.
Yay! Shout out to your 3 peeps! Lol
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the peace corps ordeal...if ever you get unnecessarily bored read my blog from my peace corps app extravaganza...it's super exciting, but has a sad ending :( (obvi since I'm not in pc at the moment)
For the teacher you are starting with the alphabet with...If you need help remember your letter sounds and letter patterns....I rock at it now. I have songs too.
ReplyDeleteMandy