Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Deep breaths, deep breaths...

Woah.

Those kids are a nightmare.

I had my first real classes today. The first was a 4th year (15-16 year olds) English class where I was supposed to give my ppt about myself, but we couldn't get the projector working till the last 15 minutes. They were rowdy while we were trying to fix stuff, but once I started talking they were just about silent. I mean I would be too...I am super interesting (kidding. sort of. except yeah. anyways.)

Then I went and had a delish breakfast of an adorable coffee and some sort of bread with that thin ham on it again. Delish again.

Then I went back and had my hour of speaking practice with Aurora, one of the science teachers I have a couple classes. It was fun sort of getting to know her. Then we went to her 1st year (12-13 year olds) science class. HORRIBLE. HORRIBLE. I CANNOT EMPHASIZE THEIR DEMON-LIKE NATURE ENOUGH. Maybe I'm being culturally insensitive here. But discipline and behavior in school couldn't be more different from the US. In class #2, Aurora was yelling and banging on the chalkboard and the kids didn't sit down or shut up. So if you recall, my job in the science classes is basically to read their science book and do vocab with them so they can hear my pronunciation and whatnot. But 2/30 were looking at me and listening when I was talking, and the other 28/30 just ignored me and talked to their friends. I was terrified of this because the auxiliares before me and the other teachers warned me that discipline was a huge issue. Aurora told me during our speaking time that she'd be in charge of yelling at the kids while I taught, so that was a relief...till I got to the class and saw that they don't respond to her either. Maria, the lady who's been driving me to and from school, said the kids at this school are the worst she's ever taught. Awesome.

It wasn't all bad; before and after the class the kids were swarming me introducing themselves and asking where I was from and if I was good at English and other silly questions. I suppose it'll be moments like those when I remember that they are actually real kids who just want some lovin' and just happen to not know how to contain themselves in the classroom. Oh also their English level is reeeeeeally low. I've gotten good at speaking slowly and clearly with Chani to help her practice for interviews in English, and I thought that would be enough, but it looks like I'm gonna have to brush up on my charades skills.

On the way home, I was telling Maria everything and her advice was... "When in Rome..." AKA I have to toughen up like the rest of the teachers, do my very best to make the kids want to learn, realize I can't singlehandedly change the Spanish education system, and let it go when I go home. This is good, because one of my best personal qualities is not letting things get to me. Ha. Anyways, I suppose I'll just try to find ways to make them want to learn, blah blah blah, and cherish my time with the older, better behaved kids and in speaking practice with the professors.

In the meantime I'm going to take deep breaths, remember that this program is paying my health insurance, go run, and then come home and drink wine.

Oh! Also last night I went out with Chani and some of her friends to a salsa bar. Obviously I did not dance, and I always like watching it, but it's also always a bummer for me because I am reminded that's just one skill I do not have. Oh well.

Welp, glad that was an uplifting post. Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment