Sunday, October 17, 2010

Some Winsies

Know what makes me happy? Little successes.

Like...I abhor talking on the phone in Spanish. In the US, Mexico, or here. Hate it. I'm also a huge procrastinator. That's why it was a double whammy victory just now getting up the nerve to just *call* the lady who's been giving me rides to make sure it's ok that I go with her tomorrow morning..instead of putting it off all day till it's eventually too late and then just going the next morning and hoping she's there. Also tomorrow is an 8:30 meet-up time instead of 7:30. And I have leftover crepe mix to make for breakfast tomorrow.


And skyping with Marianne and Victoria and then Marianne sending me an encouraging email afterwards telling me that "one day you will be traipsing about town and someone will approach  you for directions and you will blurt them out without thinking..." That totally happened yesterday. Fine, maybe it was the supermarket down the street and, yeah, maybe it was a Moroccan (?) guy who didn't really speak Spanish but just said "Dia Dia Dia" (the name of the supermarket.) But I can HANDLE that. That supermarket is one block directly in front. BAM. I know this street.


Also I got a library card and a book called "Un trabajo muy sucio" by Christopher Moore (and obviously translated), but it's hilarious so far and I highly recommend.


And I've finally turned in my initial batch of papers to live and work here legally. It was super fun waiting in line for an hour..now I get to do it again on Thursday!!


I've also been running a grand total of two times now. And I'm about to go again in a bit. It's going better than I thought; the first time my knee reminded me why I avoid it but yesterday it hurt less, so yay! The park is super cute and there are tiny kids recklessly driving their bikes into things, hippies playing drums, families throwing bread to the ducks, middle aged people doing jazzercise, people laying around like it's the horseshoe, and other cute things.


And I've sort of gone crazy buying plane tickets. At some point I just had to put the debit card away and shut off the computer, but these are my trips so far:
Dec 2-7, Marseilles with Jules
Dec 9-15, England with Hazel and Suzanne, two of my roommates from last semester
Dec 23-30, Valbonne(?) with Julie, Riki Christmas dinner
Dec 30-Jan 7, New Years and The Netherlands/Germany with Eva


Now I just need stuff to do until then. Weekend trips around Andalucia? I think I'm going to Cordoba this weekend to visit a girl who also studied abroad in GDL (but not at the same time as me, don't ask) and is doing this same program there.


Anyways, blahh, work tomorrow. I've realized, though, that even though it's a pain to get up early and go to school like a million kilometers away and having to go in early and leave late because of the schedules of people giving me rides, it's still technically less hours of work a week than last semester at the study abroad office. Plus, well, I don't have  a full courseload and a thesis to write. For now the running-reading-cooking that are making me feel super smug and well-rounded are enough to keep me busy...we'll see how long I can hold out before I go nuts and start watching another tv series all the time. 


Oh yeah, one last tidbit. During Grill Your New Auxiliar de Conversacion Time, some kid asked how old I am. I shrugged. They think I'm 24. Suckers.

2 comments:

  1. My kids all think that I am like 15/16. What is that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is weird, is what that is. Kids are dumb.

    ReplyDelete