Hi! Update time!
Sooo last weekend: twas lovely! First of all, it was long, in a good way, obviously, cuz I took Thursday off for that appointment to get my ID number. Chani was in Madrid from Thursday till last night on job interviews (more on that momentarily) and theoretical roommate still isn't here (though she's getting her cast off today and will presumably come back to Sevilla soon.) So let's just say the music pretty much stayed cranked up and there was lots of dancing around the apartment.
Friday I went out to a couple bars with Chani's friends andd it was super fun andd they're super nice andd we got back at 7 AM. This appears to be a regular occurrence in Sevilla.
It took me four tries just now to spell "occurrence." Till I gave up and used spell check. And it still didn't know what I was trying to say. I suspect Spell Checker usually does know and it just wants to give you a hard time to make you feel dumb. So much for that new year's resolution to learn how to spell words I should know. Why do I even bother making those, really? I also still have bad posture and am still addicted to chapstick. Oh! But I do floss regularly now. So I guess it turns out I'm not a complete failure at life.
Saturday night I went to the Feria de las Naciones (basically like a Greek Festival except with a ton of different countries in different booths) with Andy, the other auxiliar de conversacion, and his mom, who was visiting. I had an Argentinian beer, fried Indian something-or-anothers, and some tres leches cake. And a bite of kangaroo burger. :S :S :S This is the fair/Andy/the kangaroo burger (which was kind of fatty tasting and a bit too weird to enjoy):
Then Sunday I went to lunch with him, his mom, his roommate (whose name I've forgotten but was lovely), and his friend from home who's studying here. The goal was to find paella but we walked around for ages, and then when we found some place, we ordered like five separate things and shared them all. They. Were. Freaking. Amazing. There was paella, tortillas (the omelette/potato type thing I failed at making), garlic shrimp, slices o' manchego, and some croquetas de puchero (which were also amazing but which I mention cuz the name made me giggle..in Mexicoland I think a puchero is a pouty face but here it's soup). I'm feeling picture-y today, so...
Let's see. What else? Today was the short day at work: 1 hour of conversation with Jaime, one of the science teachers, then a half hour of sitting around while the kidlets had recess, and then an hour of class with Jaime and yet another group of 1st year kids. They were..ok. Better than the other two first year groups I have. I mean they still talk lots, and some kids from this bunch just don't listen at all, but a number of them do try and look like they even care a little bit. Thank God for them. Also I am basically a pro at the 7 life processes and what habitats are and what living things need to survive. Next week I relearn everything I once knew about cells!
Friday at school we're celebrating Halloween and also el dia de la alimentacion. Which means I will be dressed like a ballerina (inshallah, if I find tulle) eating andalucian desserts all day. Which means, since I'm going on a day I don't normally work, (though in this case I'm using the term "work" loosely), I don't have to go tomorrow. :D Which means tomorrow is errand day. Because just about EVERYTHING minus cafes shut down from like 2-6, so when I get home from work, everything's shut, and by the time stuff reopens, usually I'm too lazy to put real clothes back on to go git junk done.
Oh! The big news I forgot! The Chani thing. So she went to Madrid this weekend for interviews and.....got a job! I'm excited for her, cuz the job and benefits are way better, and she wants to try Madrid on for size, but I'll be sad to see her go, for sure! She's looking for someone to take her room, and though the demand for apartments is lower this month than when I was looking, I'm sure she'll find someone quickly. I had so many competitors wanting in on myyy room that I'm sure we could even be choosy about who moves in, if we felt like it. I put in my request for a nonsmoker who is nice and will hang out with me. I'm sure it'll be fine though. And I'll be able to visit Chani there.
OH SO new blog segment. Get excited. It's entitled "This Post's Weird New Spanish Word." The inaugural word is "chungo." It can mean sketchy, hard, sick, gone bad, or just any sort of bad thing in general, I think. You are welcome.
Ready for random thoughts? Cuz here they are:
Dang...mail here is quick. My mom sent a package exactly one week ago and I got the little slip to go pick it up today. I'm excited cuz I forgot what I asked for, aside from deodorant, as unscented is, well, a foreign concept here. And I have no desire to smell like a sweaty cucumber melon or a sweaty cotton breeze.
I'm gonna need people to quit wearing Bilbao or Sevilla or whatever other jerseys that have red and white stripes. They just get my hopes up and then crush them.
I AM GOING TO SHOOT THESE PIGEONS OUTSIDE MY WINDOW (another problematic word...when will I learn that "pigeons" doesn't have a d?) Their noises just freak me out. And wake me up. And incorporate themselves into my dreams in weird ways.
The way my chilluns are taught here is that tener = "to have got." And that just weirds me out, man. Like the example sentences were like "She has got two dogs." "I have got brown hair." Andy and I decided it sounds out of place unless you say it with a southern accent like "He's got him some brown hay-ur."
The standard European Union-friendly labels on all the store brand stuff I buy at the grocery are funsies. I now know how to say things like "coffee" and "for dry skin" in Greek.
I have a bunch of random pictures too, but I'll save those for next time cuz this is pretty darn long as is. Loveee!
Your mom, Jessi, and Candice aren't the ONLY ones who read your blog!! (creepy...?) Seriously, I love it, and I literally laugh out loud at some of the things you write (in a good way). YAY keep posting and having a great time!!
ReplyDeleteYay!! Thanks Molly!! hehe
ReplyDelete