Sunday, October 3, 2010

Ke$ha and blog posts: 2 excellent ways to make an 8 hour flight bearable

9/27/10

Hi! Soooo this is blog post #1 and I don’t even have a blog yet. Maybe I’ll be more faithful about filling y’all in than I was last time?? I suppose only time will tell… So right now I’m on the plane from DC to Madrid, sort of off the coast of Boston according to the guy in front of me’s flight map. He’s just staring at the little plane cross the ocean. I am listening to Ke$ha. I win. Let’s tell the story thus far chronologically, shall we?

It begins with a FIASCO. But if you know me, you know that my definition of a fiasco doesn’t necessarily mean something horrible actually happened. See wha ha happened was I got this awesome deal on Expedia (I keep saying Wikipedia when I tell this story…oops…I feel like the latter is more reliable. It’s that bad.) from CLT-Chicago-Copenhagen (what? ok) to Madrid cuz the super duper bargain ticket meant they chose my connections. So whatever. And it looked all confirmed and whatnot… I got the little email and everything. Then last night my mom and dad oh so kindly drove me to Charlotte (after an emergency trip to Cracker Barrel because I had forgotten to eat biscuits during my US tour) and the dude at the United counter says they have NOTHING on file for me. Expedia never actually confirmed the whole deal with them. We ended up canceling the Expedia tickets and buying new ones from United for the next morning. The good thing is that I handled it in a very mature fashion. And by that I mean I sat on the baggage scale crying till my dad got the whole thing worked out. It totally worked out fine though: the new tickets weren’t that much more expensive, Expedia is theoretically going to give me a refund, it’s one layover less (sorry Denmark), my mom’s awesome friend was able to put me up for the night in Charlotte and take me to the hairport in the AM, AND my layover was in DC so I got to see Kathleen!!! She was so dear and treated me to a fabulous last American meal.

So that’s the main story so far. These are other random observations:

- The little safety recording in Spanish sounds super funny. I am going to die.

- There is a TV on the back of mah seat! I could be watching movies now! But I am not. I am writing this and listening to trashy pop music. And that makes me happy inside.

- The girl who was sitting next to me is also gonna be an auxiliar de conversación. She’s going to some tiny town in Alicante though, I think she said. We were both speculating about the other via eavesdropping on last phone convos and then I just asked her.

-The girl who was sitting next to me knows way better what she’s getting herself into…I probably should have emailed my bossman before last night.

- The girl who was sitting next to me is no longer sitting next to me. The plane’s like half empty and she moved, so I now have fabulous bathroom accessibility.

- Bahahahah The Hold Steady’s Heaven Is Whenever is one of my album options. That I will not be choosing.

- Ooh they are rolling by with a dinner cart. I should fly overseas more often.

- Ooh now the guy in front of me is playing battleship on the back of his seat.

- I really should have written this after the fact to avoid including these unnecessary details that no one cares about.

- Update: the meal was subpar. Shocking. Just realized I’ve miscalculated and I should be sleeping now, even though it’s only 8 according to my body clock. I accept this challenge. Laterrr!

1 comment:

  1. Airplane food is bad? I think theres a comedic goldmine there just waiting for you to tap into it! I swear, no one has done it before.

    ReplyDelete