Saturday, April 20, 2013

Boston Strong

After a celebratory run to Watertown, I realized I had to try to share some of the beauty that is now coming from the place we've all been watching. Last night's fear and today's anxiety have turned into tonight's joy, thankfulness, and unity.

This whole week I have been safe, calm, and relatively unaffected by Boston's crisis, and for that I've been counting my blessings. That being said, things got creepy last night when there was what I now realize was a police chase past my house. I'm so fortunate, though, to have people in my life who are dear enough to leave Skype on overnight and pray with me and send me gifs of puppies and point out that we are so so lucky that this is not a daily reality.

I spent my day in front of the TV, exactly like you shouldn't, and when it ended just as we hoped, I breathed a huge sigh of relief and promptly called my mom, exactly like you should. (Thanks, Kathleen, for those strict instructions.)

I set out to get some fresh air, and it was so reassuring to see not deserted streets but people walking and smiling and smoking and dogs running and playing and doing their business. Someone commented that it was like after a hurricane, but I thought it was like the south, what with everyone smiling at each other...

With a smile on my face and tears in my eyes, I ran towards what I'd been seeing on the news all day, I was welcomed to Watertown by cheering crowds and police going in the opposite direction from yesterday's chase, waving and honking. 

After seeing an aching city experience and watch such scary stuff all week long, I had to share some of the goodness I saw just now. But... now that I'm trying to do so, I'm having some difficulties, considering one of the many explosions this week was my laptop charger. So check back in a few days for some neat videos.

There is a picture that I can upload (uncropped, sorry): one I drew as part of Operation Anxiety Relief.

And I'll leave you with this fantastic video from earlier this week from The Colbert Report I hold you over.


Thanks so much for your love and concern for me and the city of Boston. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment