Ummm this week, as you might guess, was super thrilling. And by that I mean not at all.
BUT yesterday my city bike service (Sevici...clever, eh? cuz it's like...Sevilla...and -vici which is pronounced like bici which is short for bicicleta which means bicycle. On a side note, thank GOD for cognates. I swear, my kids would never understand anything without them, oh gosh, I'm such a nerd, ok time to finish my sentence) subscription card came.
This might shock you, as punctuality is among my best qualities, but this morning I was running late for my carpool, so instead of leisurely testing out the whole bike thing at some point when I had time, I just sort of had to go for it. There's a little station right by my apartment, and another by where I get picked up. It was kind of awesome. I haven't ridden a bike since I was like 9, so I was scared I was going to crash and kill someone and/or get killed, but after bit it was fine. I get really nervous, though, when people walk too close. I have trouble swerving and stopping so as to not run them over, among other details. But look how cute!
Yesterday I went running and discovered this park called Parque Maria Luisa...I'd seen a little piece of it before, but it was kind of ugly and I couldn't figure out why they call it a park. Turns out it's huge, though, and really nice. I can imagine it's GORGEOUS in Spring. I'm stealing another picture from the interwebs so you can get an idea:
AND there are different pabellones (pavilions) from I think the '92 Expo maybe?? So scattered though this park are buildings in the styles of the countries they represented. I accidentally ran into Mexico's the other day...it's pretty awful. It's like a 70's adaptation of a Mayan pyramid. This one was cool though (Pabellon del Mudejar...a word that sounds vaguely familiar and I remember was important. So much for that Spanish degree):
Ok now that I'm done trying to prove that I live in a beautiful city, I'll move on.
Yesterday I bought a ticket to Rome! For Feb 9-14. I'm gonna skip two days of school for it, but I've mapped out when I'll make up the hours. Not that my boss or even the teachers I work with care, but so the kidlets don't get too far behind.
Speaking of whom, this week I attempted my first game with them. I'm desperately trying to come up with activities that will hold their interest for more than three minutes, but the actual ideas and execution have yet to happen. If you know any really fun vertebrae games, lemme know.
Oh! Also I had my first English "class" with Chani's friend Lolo. The plan is to do speaking practice a couple times a week. And it turns out "speaking practice" means hanging out and talking about whatever. And drinking beer. I think I can like this.
HOKAY time for random junk!
I don’t really know how you’re supposed to say “excuse me, can I pass by,” but I have learned that “Me das chance"? just gets you stared at.
And "no manches" gets you laughed at. I specifically remember this because that was my response when Jorge told me he was studying in the living room the other morning and could SEE HIS BREATH. Bahhhh.
The whole everything-shuts-down-from-2-to-6 is still a huge pain because, on days off, no matter how early I get up, I just can’t manage to be ready to go out the door till 1. Never fails.
The other day Andy and I had the following conversation…Me: “How do you say ‘pea’ here? Guisante?” Andy: “Yeah, what is it in Mexico?” “ ChÃcharo” “Ohh like Chicharito.” “Yep [grin]” “I hate him.” It was like my heart was ripped out of my chest. Though it made more sense when Andy explained himself: “Cuz he’s GOOD.” But the moral of this story is: I miss Mexican soccer. And I miss Chicharito. One of my students looks just like him. Throws me off, man.
One night in Barbate when we were there like a month ago, Chani and I were hanging out in the living room and her mom was watching her daily show called “Se llaman coplas” (They’re Called Coplas [a kind of music]) which is essentially American Idol but Spanish, with people singing this odd kind of music that I wouldn’t necessarily jam out to in my car, and in flamenco dresses.
I just realized that by the end of the year, I’ll have celebrated the 4th of July, my birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s out of the US. Woah.
Andd that's all. I have no good way to sum this up into something clever and/or meaningful.
Time for another bike ride! I'm hooked!
Loveeee!



Love it.
ReplyDelete