Sunday, February 24, 2013

I Was Going To Start A New Blog

And then, shockingly, I couldn't come up with a catchy title. So here we are, in this travel blog-turned-sketch and food blog? Or whatever, let's not put labels on it.

Allow me to fill you in. Since the last post, I moved to Florida, and then I moved to Boston. And that is as much detail as I am providing there. I will say that all of last year I sort of meant to start a blog cause I cooked some BALLER stuff. She said modestly.

Another detail I'll share is that I started a job (sorry, volunteer position) that occupies several more hours of each day than did last year's.Which means less awesome food and more stress. My dear aunt, in a loving attempt to cure me of the side effects of my rewarding yet anxiety-inducing service, assembled this for me:


And then something weird happened. One Saturday morning, during my jammies/coffee/Weepies time, I took it out and I drew. And it was actually fun.

I realize my wanting to share what I've done is super pretentious, but know that it's just cause I'm excited to have discovered something, 24 years into my existence, that I didn't realize I liked. Plus I wanted to jump on the PA blog bandwagon.

Also everyone's mouthwatering food posts have made me realize that I need to cook more. I used to get home late and come up with elaborate meals, much to my roommate's chagrin, as our very different service meant very different schedules. Now cooking generally involves trying to make something but in reality eating the ingredients as I go, cause it's 8:00 and don't judge me.

Today I spent my day doing absolutely nothing (in the best way possible) and one of my big activities was cooking something while not eating everything before it went on the stove. It was this glorious asparagus and herb frittata. It came out surprisingly well, probably because I had actually read some directions about how to make frittatas. Except I was so excited to learn how you're supposed to put it in the oven (who knew?), that I got distracted and flitted off to go make the thing.

While I was admiring my handiwork, the following internal monologue ensued: Well shoot! That turned out pretty. This is the kind of thing one puts on one's food blog. Why have I only been meaning to start one for the past year and a half? Oh right. You need a clever title and intro, and that takes work, man.

What happened next, though, was the result of my not reading all of the directions and trying to flip it out of the pan instead of sliding it out.

So it fell apart and you'll just have to imagine I've posted a frittata picture.

In the meantime, these are my doodles thus far, minus one I did while cooped up (with no ability to speak, mind you) at my grandma's during the Blizzard of Oh Thirteen, which I think got recycled along with the millions of other scraps of paper on which I was communicating. They're chronological, meaning I'm really only attached to the last one, but anyways, these are they:

2 things here: one is that European couples really like to put a lock, symbolizing their love, on a bridge and toss the key into the river. Romantic, till your bridge starts drooping and your fish start dying.

The other is from Puerta del Sol when the whole Occupy thing was starting up. These are, of course, from pictures-- another taken at that same time was of an ad behind this sign, for Loreal Vive, which was changed to "Viva la revolucion!" Clever people, those Spaniards.

Hierve el Agua, Oaxaca. Google it. It's awesome.

Some bar in Sevilla. I forgot the real name, so I used what I would call mine if I were to open a bar. FUN FACT: the picture this came from is in the post below.

Straight from my old fb cover photo. Near a Barcelona squat. Got a little eraser-happy.

And another familiar one. When Julie sees good plants, she drops what she is doing and goes to pick them.

Breakfast in Sevilla is the. best.

And I leave you with that. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment